If you have ever listened to me on the radio you will have heard me mention acidophilus. The name is not easy to remember so I very often spell it for the listeners! Acidophilus is the number one supplement that I recommend, it helps, and often cures, almost all conditions and can really be a magical supplement for so many people and dogs.
If you think I’m exaggerating just look at some of the many benefits and symptoms it works with:
• Creates a healthy digestive system.
• Stops and prevents diarrhoea.
• Yeast infections and urinary tract infections can be cured by using acidophilus supplements.
• Stops unpleasant wind and smelly stools.
• Rectifies bad breath caused by the digestive system not working effectively.
• Relieves muscular and arthritic pain.
• Prevents shedding and scratching caused by stress related to the improper functioning of the digestive system.
• Antibiotics, anti-fungals and wormers can destroy the natural bacteria required for a healthy digestive system. Acidophilus replenishes the good bacteria and any side effects caused by taking the medication disappears.
• Improves your dog’s immune system.
What is Acidophilus?
Acidophilus is known as a probiotic and is part of a group of beneficial intestinal bacteria called lactobacilli. L. acidophilus is present in the intestines at birth and is eventually joined by another well known bacterium called L. bifidus. Both are highly beneficial to the proper function of the intestine and to overall health and may be the most important bacteria of over 400 species in the digestive tract. It helps maintain a normal balance of health flora (bacteria). This ‘good’ bacteria is beneficial to both human and dog’s digestive tracts and assists in the optimal functioning of the body. It is thought to also play an important role in supporting a healthy immune system.
Is Acidophilus Safe for Dogs?
Yes, You can get acidophilus specifically for dogs. It is free of side effects as it contains all natural ingredients. You can also use live natural yoghurt instead as this contains live cultures which are beneficial for a healthy digestive tract. However, acidophilus is a great solution for dogs that are lactose intolerant and cannot be fed yogurt for correcting their troubled intestines.
It comes either in powder or in a capsule so it is easy to put straight onto your dogs dinner. It has no flavour so dogs are happy to eat it and rarely know that it is there.
Where can you buy Acidophilus?
Vets often sell acidophilus which will be specifically for dogs. You can also type into google ‘acidophilus supplements for dogs’ to see a range of on-line companies that sell this product. Please do shop around as the price can differ quite considerably.
Please check with your vet if you have any concerns.
Please note – If you also suffer from any digestive disturbances taking acidophilus for humans could seriously improve your health too. Give it a go!